Telephone 01728 860213
E-Mail office@debenhamhigh.co.uk
Postcode IP14 6BL

Debenham High School

Debenham High School

Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School

Health and Social Care

Exam Board: Edexcel

Course: BTEC First Award in Health and Social Care

Teacher of Health and Social Care: Mrs V. Hyland

 

INTRODUCTION

This course will be of particular interest to those whose eventual aim is to work in the Health, Social Care or Early Years Industries. Students will gain a grounding in the essential skills and knowledge crucial to this area of study, giving students the opportunity to build on these afterwards

 

YEAR 10 AND 11 ONLY

Content

The course will be made up of 4 modules exploring a wide range of issues affecting the health and social care industries.

Unit 1:

Human Lifespan Development

How do people grow and develop throughout their lives? How can factors such as lifestyle choices, relationships and life events affect your growth and development?

External assessment through written examination in January or June of Year 11.

Unit 2:

Health and Social Care values

What is good practice in health and social care? What ensures that good practice is applied to support individuals who use health and social care services? Health and social care values underpin good practice within the sector.

Internal Assessment through written assignments.

Unit 3: Effective Communication in Health and Social Care

Are you aiming for a career in health or social care? If so, how good are your communication skills? Communication skills are vital for those who choose to work in health and social care.

Internal Assessment through written assignments.

Unit 4:

The impact of Nutrition on Health and Wellbeing.

Have you considered the effects of what you eat on your health and wellbeing?

This unit provides you with some answers and extends your understanding of how important a balanced diet is to your health.

Internal Assessment through written assignments.

 

Assessment

There is one external examination which makes up 25% of the qualification. The remaining 75% is assessed internally through a series of written assignments. The assignments are collated into a portfolio.  The construction of a portfolio encourages students to develop strong organisational skills and to develop their ability to be independent learners and researchers

The qualification is awarded at 4 levels...

Pass (equivalent to C GCSE grade)

Merit (equivalent to B GCSE grade)

Distinction (equivalent to A GCSE grade)

Distinction* (equivalent to an A* GCSE grade)

 

What can I do next with Health and Social Care?

The qualification can lead to level three Health and Social Care courses at many post-16 providers. It can also be a starting point for jobs in the care services such as Nursing, Social Worker, Child Care, Nursery Nurse or Care Assistant.